Today in history: Friday, Dec. 10, the 344th day of 2021. This is Today in History.
- In 1964, Martin Luther King Jr. received his Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo, saying he accepted it “with an abiding faith in America and an audacious faith in the future of mankind.”
- Ralph J. Bunche received the Nobel Peace Prize, becoming the first Black American to receive the award in 1950.
- Mississippi gained admittance into the Union as the 20th state in 1817.
- In 1996, South African President Nelson Mandela signed the country’s new constitution into law during a ceremony in Sharpeville.
- Former Vice President Al Gore accepted the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007.
- In 2019, House Democrats announced two articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump.
- In 1926 1st radio broadcast in the Sprinfield area (WCBS)
- Singer Otis Redding and six others were killed in a plane crash in 1967.
- In 2005, actor-comedian Richard Pryor died in Encino, California, at age 65.
Today’s Birthdays: Actor Fionnula Flanagan is 80. Pop singer Chad Stuart (Chad and Jeremy) Actor-singer Gloria Loring is 75. Pop-funk musician Walter “Clyde” Orange (The Commodores) is 75. Country singer Johnny Rodriguez is 70. Actor Susan Dey is 69. Former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich is 65. Jazz musician Paul Hardcastle is 64. Actor John York (TV: “General Hospital”) is 63. Actor-director Kenneth Branagh (BRAH’-nah) is 61. Actor Nia Peeples is 60. TV chef Bobby Flay is 57. Rock singer-musician J Mascis is 56. Rock musician Scot Alexander (Dishwalla) is 50. Actor-comedian Arden Myrin is 48. Rock musician Meg White (The White Stripes) is 47. Actor Emmanuelle Chriqui is 46. Actor Gavin Houston is 44. Actor Alano Miller is 42. Violinist Sarah Chang is 41. Actor Patrick John Flueger is 38. Country singer Meghan Linsey is 36. Actor Raven-Symone is 36. Actor/singer Teyana Taylor is 31. Actor Kiki Layne is 30.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY KOAM NEWS NOW. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.