0
Propane stove fire destroys home near Columbus

A home North of Columbus, Kansas is considered a total loss after it was gutted by a late night fire on Monday. (Photo courtesy: Columbus Fire Department)

COLUMBUS, Kans — Fire crews in Cherokee County where busy late last night, and into the early morning hours.

Around 8:15 p.m. Monday (10/17), a call came in about a structure fire near the intersection of Northwest Lawton Road and Kansas Highway 7, just North of Columbus. Columbus Fire Chief, Steven Burton says the male homeowner was lighting a propane stove when a fire broke out. It didn’t take long for flames to quickly spread through the entire house. Chief Burton said the homeowner was able to escape the fire, but suffered minor burns. The man rejected any medical treatment.

SLIDESHOW: View Photos From The Scene Of The House Fire

According to Chief Burton, the single-story home is a total loss. The intense fire took crews several hours to put out. Firefighters remained at the home until just after midnight (10/18), ensuring all hot spots were fully extinguished.

| Several Departments Work To Extinguish Large Brush Fire >

The Columbus Fire Department called in mutual aid from Cherokee Township, Scammon, Weir and West Mineral to assist with the house fire.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *