Today is Saturday, April 16, the 105th day of 2022. This is today in history.
- In 2013, Police took murder suspect Brian Shields into custody for his alleged involvement in the murder of a Chanute woman.
- In 2014, a multiple-vehicle crash near Frontenac, Kansas closed US-69 for almost 8 hours.
- In 2016, Local authorities charged 42-year-old Raymond Miller with Second Degree Rape.
- In 1789, President-elect George Washington left Mount Vernon, Virginia, for his inauguration in New York.
- In 1963, Martin Luther King Jr. wrote his “Letter from Birmingham Jail” in which the civil rights activist responded to a group of local clergymen who had criticized him for leading street protests; King defended his tactics, writing, “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
- In 1972, Apollo 16 blasted off on a voyage to the moon with astronauts John W. Young, Charles M. Duke Jr. and Ken Mattingly on board.
- In 1962, Walter Cronkite made his debut as anchorman of “The CBS Evening News.”
- In 1973, Paul McCartney starred in his first TV special, titled after his given name, “James Paul McCartney.”
- In 1996, singer Judy Collins married Louis Nelson in New York, 18 years to the day after they first met at an Equal Rights Amendment fundraiser.
- In 1945, In his first speech to Congress, President Harry S. Truman pledged to carry out the war and peace policies of his late predecessor, President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- In 2010, the U.S government accused Wall Street’s most powerful firm of fraud, saying Goldman Sachs & Co. had sold mortgage investments without telling buyers the securities were crafted with input from a client who was betting on them to fail.
- In 2020, the Trump administration ended an Obama-era rule that compelled the country’s coal plants to cut back emissions of mercury and other human health hazards.
Emeritus Pope Benedict XVI is 95. Singer Bobby Vinton is 87. Denmark’s Queen Margrethe II is 82. Basketball Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is 75. Former Massachusetts first lady Ann Romney is 73. NFL coach Bill Belichick is 70. Rock singer and former politician Peter Garrett is 69. Actor Ellen Barkin is 68. Actor Michel Gill is 62. Secretary of State Antony Blinken is 60. Rock musician Jason Scheff (Chicago) is 60. Singer Jimmy Osmond is 59. Rock singer David Pirner (Soul Asylum) is 58. Actor-comedian Martin Lawrence is 57. Actor Jon Cryer is 57. Actor Peter Billingsley is 51. Actor Lukas Haas is 46. Actor-singer Kelli O’Hara is 46. Actor Claire Foy (TV: “The Crown”) is 38. Figure skater Mirai Nagasu is 29. Actor Sadie Sink is 20.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY KOAM NEWS NOW. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.