Today is Sunday, Feb. 27, the 58th day of 2022. This is today in history.
- In 2013, the Jasper County Sheriff’s Office discussed moving its headquarters from the Duenweg area to Carthage, Mo.
- In 2015, Authorities investigated the shooting deaths of seven people in the Missouri Ozarks. Some reports stated the death of the gunman’s mother sparked the shooting.
- In 2018, Joplin officials shared plans to remodel the old Holiday Inn into a DoubleTree hotel, however, renovations had been delayed since 2016.
- In 1997, divorce became legal in Ireland.
- In 2010, in Chile, an 8.8 magnitude earthquake and tsunami killed 524 people, caused $30 billion in damage and left more than 200,000 homeless.
- In 2020, U.S. stocks posted their worst one-day drop since 2011, as worldwide markets plummeted amid growing anxiety about the coronavirus.
- In 1971, Jefferson Airplane was fined $1,000 for using profanity onstage at a concert in Oklahoma City.
- In 2003, Fred Rogers, better known as children’s entertainer Mr. Rogers, died of stomach cancer in Pittsburgh. He was 74.
- In 2006, former Newark Eagles co-owner Effa Manley became the first woman elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame.
- In 1922, the Supreme Court, in Leser v. Garnett, unanimously upheld the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, which guaranteed the right of women to vote.
- In 1951, the 22nd Amendment to the Constitution, limiting a president to two terms of office, was ratified.
- In 2012, President Barack Obama urged the nation’s governors at the White House to invest more state resources in education, saying a highly skilled workforce was crucial for the U.S. to remain competitive with other countries.
Actor Joanne Woodward is 92. Consumer advocate Ralph Nader is 88. Actor Barbara Babcock is 85. Actor Debra Monk is 73. Rock singer-musician Neal Schon (Journey) is 68. Rock musician Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden) is 65. Actor Timothy Spall is 65. Rock musician Paul Humphreys (Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark) is 62. Country singer Johnny Van Zant (Van Zant) is 62. Rock musician Leon Mobley (Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals) is 61. Basketball Hall of Famer James Worthy is 61. Actor Adam Baldwin is 60. Actor Grant Show is 60. Actor Noah Emmerich is 57. Actor Donal Logue (DOH’-nuhl LOHG) is 56. R&B singer Chilli (TLC) is 51. Rock musician Jeremy Dean (Nine Days) is 50. Country-rock musician Shonna Tucker is 44. Chelsea Clinton is 42. Actor Brandon Beemer is 42. Rock musician Cyrus Bolooki (New Found Glory) is 42. Rock musician Jake Clemons (Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band) is 42. R&B singer Bobby V is 42. Singer Josh Groban is 41. Banjoist Noam (cq) Pikelny is 41. Rock musician Jared Champion (Cage the Elephant) is 39. Actor Kate Mara is 39. TV personality JWoww (AKA Jenni Farley) is 36. Actor Lindsey Morgan is 32.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY KOAM NEWS NOW. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.