Today is Sunday, Jan. 9, the ninth day of 2022. This is today in history.
Today in history
- In 1793, Frenchman Jean Pierre Blanchard, using a hot-air balloon, flew from Philadelphia to Woodbury, New Jersey.
- In 1958, President Dwight D. Eisenhower, in his State of the Union address to Congress, warned of the threat of Communist imperialism.
- In 2003, U.N. weapons inspectors said there was no “smoking gun” to prove Iraq had nuclear, chemical or biological weapons.
- In 2013, Montgomery County, Kansas authorities arrested a person of interest in a quadruple homicide in Tulsa.
- In 2015, Soaring Heights Elementary School held an open house to welcome students and parents to the new facility.
- In 2018, The Red Cross assisted residents of more than a dozen apartments after a fire in Neosho left them with unlivable conditions.
- In 1965, “The Beatles ’65” album hit number one and stayed there for nine weeks.
- In 1973, The Rolling Stones’ plans to tour Asia were halted when Japan refused to grant Mick Jagger a visa. The Japanese turned down Jagger’s request because of his 1969 drug bust.
- In 2012, Jay-Z released the song “Glory” that featured the cries of his 2-day-old daughter, Blue Ivy. Because she was credited, she became the youngest person to appear on a Billboard chart when it debuted at number 74 on the R&B/hip-hop songs chart.
- In 1861, Mississippi became the second state to secede from the Union.
- In 1987, The White House released a January 1986 memorandum prepared for President Ronald Reagan by Lt. Col. Oliver L. North showing a link between U.S. arms sales to Iran and the release of American hostages in Lebanon.
Actor K Callan is 86. Folk singer Joan Baez is 81. Rock musician Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin) is 78. Actor John Doman is 77. Singer David Johansen (aka Buster Poindexter) is 72. Singer Crystal Gayle is 71. Actor J.K. Simmons is 67. Actor Imelda Staunton is 66. Nobel Peace laureate Rigoberta Menchú is 63. Rock musician Eric Erlandson is 59. Actor Joely Richardson is 57. Rock musician Carl Bell (Fuel) is 55. Actor David Costabile is 55. Rock singer Steve Harwell (Smash Mouth) is 55. Rock singer-musician Dave Matthews is 55. Actor-director Joey Lauren Adams is 54. Comedian/actor Deon Cole is 51. Actor Angela Bettis is 49. Actor Omari Hardwick is 48. Roots singer-songwriter Hayes Carll is 46. Singer A.J. McLean (Backstreet Boys) is 44. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, is 40. Pop-rock musician Drew Brown (OneRepublic) is 38. Rock-soul singer Paolo Nutini is 35. Actor Nina Dobrev is 33. Actor Basil Eidenbenz is 29. Actor Kerris Dorsey is 24. Actor Tyree Brown is 18.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY KOAM NEWS NOW. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.