JOPLIN, Mo. – The driver in a pursuit that ended in a fatal crash was driving on a revoked license. Court documents provide additional details of Kenton C. Cowgill’s criminal history.
On July 3, 2021, Cowgill was passed out in his vehicle, blocking a driveway, when police woke him up. According to the Joplin Police Department, he sped away, leading a car chase. It ended in a fatal crash involving two other vehicles. Authorities say the driver of one of those vehicles, Robert D. McDermid, 66 of Joplin, did not survive injuries sustained in the crash.
You can read more details of the pursuit and crash here: Man charged after police pursuit ends in fatal DWI crash.
According to court documents, the Joplin Police Department requested a Murder in the Second Degree charge against Cowgill. However, the Jasper County Prosecutor’s Office filed the following charges on Tuesday.
- DWI-Death of Another;
- Resisting Arrest/Detention/Stop by Fleeing;
- Delivery Of Controlled Substance Except 35 Grams Or Less Of Marijuana Or Synthetic Cannabinoid
Cowgill consented to give a blood sample to the Joplin Police Department. Authorities sent it off to the Missouri State Highway Patrol Crime Lab for testing.
A Statement of Probable Cause (pictured below), lays out previous convictions related to driving in multiple jurisdictions.
- 2002 in Carthage, Mo. – Driving While Suspended/Revoked
- 2007 in Lawrence County, Mo. – Driving While Suspended/Revoked
- 2018 in Jasper County, Mo. – Driving While Suspended/Revoked
- 2018 in Newton County, Mo. – Driving While Intoxicated
- 2019 in Oklahoma – Driving While Suspended/Revoked
- 2019 in Jasper County, Mo. – Driving While Intoxicated