What You’ll Need
- 4 beef cubed steaks, pounded to 1/4-inch thickness
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
What to Do
- Season steaks with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; set aside.
- Place buttermilk in a shallow dish. Place cornmeal in another shallow dish. Dip steaks in buttermilk then in cornmeal, coating completely.
- In a large deep skillet over medium-high heat, heat shortening until hot but not smoking. Add steaks in batches and cook 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through and coating is golden. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter and cover to keep warm.
- Add 3 tablespoons flour, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper to skillet. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until flour is browned, stirring constantly. Add milk and stir until gravy is thickened. Serve steaks topped with gravy.
Want even more “Quick & Easy” dinner recipes? Check out our free eCookbook, Fuss-Free Meals: 35 Simple Skillet Recipes and One-Pot Recipes!